If you're a small business or a not-for-profit organisation in NSW and you've been directly impacted by storms and floods from October 2021 to January 2022, you may be eligible for a storm and flood disaster recovery small business grant.

This disaster recovery grant of up to $50,000 is to help pay for the costs of clean-up and reinstatement of a small business or not-for-profit organisation’s operations.

You must be a small business or a not-for-profit organisation in a defined disaster area (AGRN 987, 1001, 996, 993 and 980) to be eligible. If you're a primary producer, you may be eligible for financial assistance tailored to your industry. Please visit the Rural Assistance Authority for information on the financial assistance available to primary producers.

Covered costs could include, but are not limited to:

  • payment for tradespeople to conduct safety inspections
  • equipment and materials required for cleaning up
  • equipment and materials essential for immediately resuming operations
  • payment for a cleaner if the service would not have been needed, or exceeds ordinary cleaning costs, in the absence of the disaster
  • the removal and disposal of debris, damaged materials or damaged stock
  • repairing premises and internal fittings
  • leasing temporary premises, replacing or repair of motor vehicles, or replacing lost or damaged stock, if it’s essential for resuming operations.


Available funding

The maximum grant amount available is $50,000.

  • Funds of up to $15,000 will be provided to eligible, approved applicants, based on quotes which you will need to submit when you apply. You do not need to provide evidence of payment at this stage.
  • Evidence including valid tax invoices will be required in relation to the first $15,000, if the applicant seeks funding from $15,000 to $50,000.
  • To receive funds of between $15,000 to $50,000, you will need to submit evidence of payment of the relevant costs at the time of application.

If your initial grant application is for an amount less than $50,000, you can submit a second application if you require additional funds to complete eligible clean-up and reinstatement activities.

Applications are now closed.


'Direct damage' means a direct and material impact of flood on business assets or equipment.

You must be a small business owner or a not-for profit organisation in a defined disaster area and:

  • have suffered direct damage
  • be primarily responsible for meeting the costs you are claiming
  • be intending to re-establish your small business or not-for-profit organisation within the same area
  • if you are a small business, have held an ABN (which you currently hold) and engaged in carrying on the small business at the time of the floods in the defined disaster area, or
  • if you are a not-for-profit organisation, be registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) or an equivalent state regulatory body and have held that registration at the time of the eligible disaster
  • be authorised to act on behalf of the business. Note: The following people can apply as long as they provide a letter of authority:
    • your accountant
    • registered tax agent
    • registered BAS agent
    • other business representative.

Sole traders with no employees who fulfil the above criteria are eligible to apply if you can show that you derive a majority of your income from the small business, or that:

  • immediately before the eligible disaster, you derived a majority of your income from the business, and
  • the majority of your income would have come from the business again if not for the eligible disaster.

You may also be eligible if your small business or not-for-profit organisation is located outside the defined disaster area:

  • but operates on a part-time or regular basis within the defined disaster area, and
  • plant or equipment your small business owns was located in the defined disaster area and was damaged by the eligible disaster.

If you operate multiple small businesses, you may apply for grant funding for each eligible separate business up to the maximum amount available.

The grant is not available:

  • if you’ve successfully received funding or assistance from any other government source or program or donation for your small business or not-for-profit organisation and that funding or assistance has met the same costs you are claiming in your application
  • if you’re entitled to make a claim under an insurance policy for the expenses listed in your application
  • if you’ve received or are entitled to receive the expenses you are claiming under an insurance policy
  • to cover loss of income as a result of the eligible disaster
  • if your claim is for repairs to a building that the small business or not-for-profit organisation lets to a person for residential or commercial purposes, unless you let the property in the course of operating the small business or not-for-profit organisation. Superannuation funds and personal investment vehicles are not regarded as businesses.
  • if you are a sole trader with no employees and you do not derive a majority of your income from the business.

If you require assistance, please call 13 77 88.

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account - you can create one when you start your application
  • your proof of identity
  • your valid ABN/ACN number
  • evidence of your non-profit status (if applicable)
  • a letter of authority (if applicable)
  • your insurance details (if applicable)
  • your business banking details for payment.

In addition:

For any amount you're seeking up to $15,000, you'll need:

  • a list of the direct damage
  • photographic evidence of the direct damage
  • quotes for replacements, works or services
  • any other supporting information, such as damage assessments or receipts.

If you’re seeking more than $15,000, you'll need to provide invoices for completed work for the entire amount of funding for which you are applying.

Note: If you’re unable to provide evidence of direct damage, you may use other appropriate evidence to prove financial impact of the damage. We may request additional information and evidence to support your application.

To ensure your application is processed without delay:

  • When you enter details on how you propose to use the grant, make sure you include:
    • a list outlining each item that you intend to purchase using the funding
    • the known or estimated cost of each item
    • documentation to support each item, such as an official quotation, invoice or receipt dated from the date of the flooding in your LGA.
  • As an example, your itemised list could look like this:
    • Clean-up services for café – $5,000 – the quote for the clean-up service (from the cleaning company) is attached.
    • New refrigerator – $3,500 – the invoice for the fridge (from online wholesale supplier) is attached.
    • Coffee machine – $5,000 – the quote for the machine (from a wholesale supplier) is attached.
    • Shelving for café storeroom – $5,100 – the quote (from a certified carpenter) is attached.
  • If you are applying for an amount between $15,000 and $50,000, evidence of payment means:
    • an invoice including the name, address and ABN (if applicable) of the entity that issued the invoice and a description of each item included, clearly identifiable as being related to the approved expenditure and to damage from the eligible disaster
    • a receipt including the name and address and ABN (if applicable) of the entity that issued the receipt and a description of each item to which the receipt relates
    • a copy of your bank transfer and/or bank statement.

Note: The total amount that you are requesting from the grant should equal the amounts shown by your proposed expenditure.

Auditing requirements

You may be audited in the future, so you will need to keep all documentary evidence related to your application and assistance provided under the scheme, for one year after the closing day for applications. As part of an audit, you will be required to provide evidence that you have used grant funds in accordance with the claims made in your application (for example, official receipts).

Proof of identity

Two proof of identity documents are required. They may include:

  • Australian driver licence
  • Medicare card
  • Australian passport
  • Australian birth certificate
  • Australian travel visa
  • Australian citizenship certificate
  • Australian certificate of registration by descent
  • ImmiCard.
Last updated: 1 July 2023