Text size


If your residential or small business property is in northern NSW and you are concerned that the soil on your property may have been contaminated by the February and March 2022 floods, you can request to have the land assessed.

The assessment is carried out by qualified inspectors as part of the Contaminated Lands Assessment Program. This program is being managed by the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) and is being jointly funded by the NSW and Australian governments under the Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements.

You can complete the form for yourself or on behalf of someone else.

Property owners and tenants will need to submit a separate request for each property.

Applications close 30 June 2023.


You can request support if:

  • you’re a residential or small business property owner or tenant impacted by the February and March 2022 floods and your property is located within the following local government areas:
    • Ballina
    • Byron
    • Clarence Valley
    • Kyogle
    • Lismore
    • Richmond Valley
    • Tweed
  • your property was inundated by floodwater
  • you're concerned that the soil on your property has become contaminated as a result of floodwater.

Eligible contaminants for assessment

Flood-generated contamination, including asbestos and other chemical contaminants such as fuels, oils and pesticides.     

Ineligible contaminants for assessment

  • any contamination that existed on the property before the flood event, including from any past land use practices
  • structural contamination, including inside homes, buildings and structures
  • any contamination that was not generated by the flood event
  • assessments covering an area of greater than 1,000 square metres on a property.    

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account – you can create one when you start your registration or continue as a guest
  • your contact details
  • the name, email address and contact number of the person who requires an assessment (if you’re submitting the form on behalf of someone else)
  • the address of the impacted property.

How to request

  1. Check your eligibility.
  2. Select the ‘Request online’ button.
  3. Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account, or continue as a guest.
  4. Select whether you’re completing the form for yourself or on behalf of someone else.
  5. Enter your contact details.
  6. Select the service you require.
  7. Follow the prompts to request assistance.

When you submit your form, you’ll receive a confirmation email from the NSW EPA’s appointed service provider, GHD. They will review your request and contact you if additional information is required.

If your request is approved:

  • you’ll need to provide access to your property so an assessor can take a look and, if required, collect samples of soil using digging equipment. It is advisable that you're present during the assessment. Tenants will require consent from the property owner before an assessment can be scheduled
  • the results of the assessment will be shared with you, the tenant (if applicable) and the relevant local council
  • if the assessment identifies flood-generated contamination at levels of concern, you’ll be provided with expert advice regarding this – including remediation/clean-up options.  

More information

  • All ground surface level property assessments performed under the program will be assessed by a land contamination expert engaged by the EPA, with priority being based on the risk to public health and the environment.
  • The program will not reimburse you for flood contamination assessment costs if the assessment has already been performed or completed.
  • For more information and frequently asked questions, visit the EPA website.
Last updated: 23 December 2022