Text size


If you want to carve or decorate emu eggs, you'll need to apply for a licence from the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service. You can only acquire emu eggs from captive sources such as emu farms, native animal parks and zoos, as it's illegal to collect them from the wild.

If you'd like more information on emu eggs, visit the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment.

What you need

  • your personal details
  • premises where the eggs will be carved and/or decorated
  • reason for applying
  • your payment
  • the PDF form – 'Emu Egg Carving Licence Application Form'.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the Emu Egg Carving Licence Application Form – PDF.
  2. Sign the declaration.
  3. Post or email your application with payment, to the details on the form.

More information

  • the licence granted under the Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016 allows you to sell your carved or decorated eggs.
  • you need to write or etch your licence number on each egg you carve or decorate.
  • before renewing or ending your licence, you need to submit a report showing how many eggs were bought and sold, and where you sourced them. The Wildlife Team will provide you with a reporting template. Visit the Department of Planning and Environment website for more details.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 9 January 2023
You'll be taken to another website.