Service NSW and Study NSW welcome international students to our state and want your time here to be safe and memorable.

This guide gives you information for studying, living and working in NSW as a student.

Study NSW

Study NSW is a government agency that supports international students in NSW. They provide a wide range of free programs to help you live, study and work while here.

Language and interpreter services

Living in NSW

Identity cards and documents

Safety and emergency help

Health and wellbeing

Working while you study

You may be able to work while you're studying. Make sure you know what your rights are.

Some jobs or volunteer roles may need checks or specific training before you can work.

Transport and travel

Public transport and cycling

Driving a car

If you move to NSW you can use an existing overseas licence for up to 3 months. After that you must apply for a NSW driver licence. If you do not have a current driver licence you'll need to apply for one.

If you're planning to buy a car while you live here, visit:

Last updated: 15 April 2024