If your small business or not-for-profit organisation in northern NSW was impacted by storms and floods in February and March 2022, you may be eligible for a one-off $10,000 small business northern flood grant.
Your small business or not-for-profit organisation must be physically located and operating in one of the following highly impacted Northern Rivers local government areas (LGAs) to be eligible:
- Clarence Valley
- Richmond Valley
- Tweed Shire.
This grant is to help pay for your business’ operating costs during your immediate recovery period. Covered costs could include, but are not limited to:
- salaries and wages
- utilities and rent
- government fees and charges (including local government rates)
- financial, legal or other services
- marketing or communications
- perishable goods
- other business costs.
Note: If you're unsure about which financial support best suits your situation, you can get a list of NSW flood grants your business may be eligible for by completing a 2-minute questionnaire.
Consider your options carefully as you will not be eligible for this grant if you have received any of the following grants:
- February and March 2022 storm and flood disaster recovery small business grant of up to $50,000
- Northern Rivers medium size business grant of up to $200,000
- Primary producer special disaster grant of up to $75,000 for the February 2022 NSW floods
- Rural Landholders Grant of up to $25,000 for the February 2022 NSW floods.
A qualified accountant, registered tax agent or registered BAS agent may apply on behalf of your business. Your accountant will need to provide a letter of authority from you to show that they are authorised to act on behalf of your business if they are not listed as an associate on the Australian Business Register.
Applications close on 31 July 2022.
You must be a small business owner or a not-for profit organisation physically located and operating in an eligible Northern Rivers LGA and:
- have an active ABN, registered on or before 1 January 2021
- if you are charity, be registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC)
- have derived at least $75,000 in GST turnover in the financial year ended 30 June 2021 or 30 June 2020
- had an aggregated annual turnover of between $75,000 and $10 million (inclusive) for the financial year ended 30 June 2021 or 30 June 2020
- experienced a decline in turnover of 40% or more due to the impacts of flooding during the entire month of March 2022 compared to the entire month of March 2021 or March 2020, and
- intend to continue operating or re-establish operations within the highly impacted Northern Rivers LGAs.
You may also be eligible if:
- your business operates in an eligible LGA but your ABN is registered at an address outside these areas
- your new business was not operating on 1 January 2021
- you are a sole trader impacted by sickness, injury or leave.
See more information about alternative circumstances in which a business may be eligible.
If you're a business with no employees and you fulfil the above criteria, you are eligible to apply if you can show that you derive more than 50% of your total income from the small business. If you have more than one non-employing business, you can claim a grant for only one of the businesses.
Your business is not eligible for this grant if:
- your business' decline in turnover is for reasons other than flooding, such as seasonal variations, closing for holidays or renovations
- you derive more than 50% of your earnings from passive income, such as rents, interest or dividends
- you're a government agency, local government, bank, university or similar entity.
See the full list of ineligible businesses.
If you need assistance, please call 13 77 88.
What you need
- a MyServiceNSW Account – you can create one when you start your application
- your proof of identity
- your valid ABN/ACN details
- evidence of your non-profit status (if applicable)
- your business banking details for payment.
In addition, you’ll need to:
- submit an Australian income tax return for the year ended 30 June 2020 or 30 June 2021 (whichever is most recently lodged), with tax file number redacted
- declare that the business derived more than $75,000 in turnover and was physically located or operating in one of the eligible LGAs in the same year as the Australian income tax return submitted to demonstrate aggregated annual turnover
- submit a letter from a qualified accountant, registered tax agent or registered BAS agent that confirms you experienced a decline in turnover of 40% or more due to the flooding events during the month of March 2022, compared to March 2020 or 2021 (you may use our accountant's letter template)
- provide other supporting documents to demonstrate your eligibility.
You may be audited in the future, so you'll need to keep all documentary evidence related to your application and assistance provided under the scheme for 2 years after the application closing date. As part of an audit, you will be required to provide evidence that you have used grant funds in accordance with the claims made in your application (for example, official receipts).
Proof of identity
How to apply
- Check you meet the eligibility criteria.
- Have your documentation and evidence ready for uploading.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
Note: You can save and resume your application, but if you have not submitted it within 7 days, any details you've entered will be deleted.
- Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
- Follow the prompts to apply for the $10,000 small business northern flood grant.
When you submit your application, you'll receive a confirmation email with an application reference number. If you do not receive this email within 5 minutes after completing your application, please check your junk mail folder. If you are still unable to locate the confirmation email, please call 13 77 88.
Service NSW will review your application and contact you if we need additional information to support your application.
If your application is approved, we'll transfer funds to your specified bank account within 5 business days from the approval date.
If you're not able to apply online, please call 13 77 88.