Visit our storms and floods page for information on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses

Register for ongoing business support 

A Business Concierge can help you if your business has been impacted by the recent NSW storms and floods, and can notify you when new financial support becomes available. 

Call 13 77 88 or register for a call back.

Online applications for the flood disaster recovery small business grant open from mid-April 2021.


If you're a small business or a not-for-profit organisation, and you've been directly impacted by the NSW Storms and Floods from 10 March 2021 onwards (AGRN 960), you may be eligible for a flood disaster recovery grant.

The flood disaster recovery grant of up to $50,000 is to help pay for costs of clean-up and reinstatement of a small business or not-for-profit organisation’s operations.  

You must be a small business or a not-for-profit organisation in a defined disaster area to be eligible. Please note that this grant is not available to primary producers. Visit the Rural Assistance Authority for information on the financial assistance available to primary producers.

Covered costs could include, but are not limited to:

  • payment for tradespeople to conduct safety inspections  

  • equipment and materials required for cleaning up, or hiring a cleaner to assist with post-flood clean-up

  • equipment and materials essential for immediately resuming operations

  • the removal and disposal of damaged goods and materials 

  • repairing premises and internal fittings

  • leasing temporary premises or replacing lost or damaged stock if it’s essential for resuming operations

  • hiring equipment and/or replacing stock needed to resume operations.

The grant is not available for: 

  • expenses that are covered under the small business or not-for-profit organisation's insurance policy

  • loss of income as a result of the floods.

Available funding

The maximum grant amount available is $50,000.

  • Funds of up to $15,000 will be provided to eligible, approved applicants, based on quotes or estimates, without the need to provide evidence of payment at the point of application.

  • Evidence including valid tax invoices will be required in relation to the first $15,000, if the applicant seeks funding from $15,000 to $50,000.

  • To receive funds of between $15,000 to $50,000, you will need to submit evidence of payment of the relevant costs at the time of application.

If your initial grant application is for an amount less than $50,000, you can submit a second application if you require additional funds to complete clean-up and reinstatement activities.


'Direct damage' means a direct and material impact of floods or flood mitigation activities on business assets or equipment.

You must be a small business owner or a not-for-profit organisation in a defined disaster area and: 

  • have suffered direct damage 

  • be primarily responsible for meeting the costs you are claiming

  • be intending to re-establish your small business or not-for-profit organisation within the same area

  • have held an ABN (which you currently hold) and engaged in carrying on the small business at the time of the floods in the defined disaster area, if you are a small business owner

  • be registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) or an equivalent state regulatory body and have held that registration at the time of the eligible disaster, if you are a not-for-profit organisation. 

You may also be eligible if your small business or not-for-profit organisation is located outside the defined disaster area, but:

  • operates on a part-time or regular basis within the defined disaster area, and equipment and/or a plant your small business owns was located in the defined disaster area and was damaged by the NSW Storms and Floods from 10 March 2021. 

If you operate multiple small businesses, you may apply for grant funding for each eligible separate business up to the maximum amount available.

The grant is not available:

  • if you’ve successfully received funding or assistance from any other government source or program or donation for your small business or not-for-profit organisation and that funding or assistance has met the same costs you are claiming in your application

  • if you’re entitled to make a claim under an insurance policy for the expenses listed in your application

  • if you’ve received or are entitled to receive the expenses you are claiming under an insurance policy

  • to cover loss of income as a result of the NSW Storms and Floods from 10 March 2021

  • if your claim is for repairs to a building that the small business or not-for-profit organisation lets to a person for residential or commercial purposes, unless you let the property in the course of operating the small business or not-for-profit organisation. Superannuation funds and personal investment vehicles are not regarded as businesses. 

In the above instances, contact a Business Concierge to discuss the options available to you.

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account

  • your proof of identity 

  • your valid ABN/ACN number

  • evidence of your non-profit status (if applicable) 

  • your insurance details (if applicable)

  • your business banking details for payment.

In addition:

For any amount you're seeking up to $50,000, you'll need:

  • to nominate the grant amount you are claiming 

  • evidence of the direct damage (in the form of photos, quotes, tax invoices or receipts), and 

  • provide an itemised list of what you are proposing to spend the grant on – this should include details, including cost, of items you want replaced or repaired and/or proposed clean-up activities to be undertaken.

If you’re seeking more than $15,000, you'll need to provide invoices for completed work for the entire amount of funding for which you are applying. 

Note: If you’re unable to provide evidence of direct damage, you may use other appropriate evidence to prove financial impact of the damage.

To ensure your application is processed without delay:

  • When you enter details on how you propose to use the grant, make sure you include:

    • a list outlining each item that you intend to purchase using the funding

    • the known or estimated cost of each item

    • documentation to support each item, such as:

      • an official quotation, invoice or receipt – dated from the date of the flooding in your LGA. 

  • As an example, your itemised list could look like this: 

    • Clean-up services for café – $5000 – the quote for the clean-up service (from the cleaning company) is attached.

    • New refrigerator – $3500 – the invoice for the fridge (from online wholesale supplier) is attached.

    • Espresso machine – $5000 – the quote for the machine (from a wholesale supplier) is attached. 

    • Shelving for café storeroom – $5100 – the quote (from a certified carpenter) is attached. 

  • If you are applying for an amount between $15,000 and $50,000, evidence of payment means:

    • an invoice including the name, address and ABN (if applicable) of the entity that issued the invoice and a description of each item included, clearly identifiable as being related to the approved expenditure and to damage from the eligible disaster

    • a receipt including the name and address and ABN (if applicable) of the entity that issued the receipt and a description of each item to which the receipt relates

    • a copy of your bank transfer and/or bank statement.

Note: The total amount that you are requesting from the grant should equal the amounts shown by your proposed expenditure.

Auditing requirements

You may be audited in the future, so you will need to keep all documentary evidence related to your application and assistance provided under the scheme, for a minimum of one year. As part of an audit, you will be required to provide evidence that you have used grant funds in accordance with the claims made in your application (for example, official receipts).  

Proof of identity

Two proof of identity documents are required. They may include:

  • Australian driver licence
  • Medicare card
  • Australian passport
  • Australian birth certificate
  • Australian travel visa
  • Australian citizenship certificate
  • Australian certificate of registration by descent
  • Australian ImmiCard.

How to apply

Online applications open from mid-April.