If you need to voluntarily surrender a NSW Driver's or Rider's Licence because it's either no longer required, you're moving interstate or overseas, or the licensee is deceased, you can do this at a service centre.

What you need

  • Your Driver's or Rider's Licence (if available)
  • If you don't have the licence, you'll need to provide a letter from an interstate licensing authority confirming that it was transferred to a licence in another state or territory
  • If you're surrendering a licence for someone else, you'll need to provide written evidence of authority
  • Your proof of identity
  • If the licensee is deceased, evidence of the death is required (refunds may be applicable)

How to surrender

  1. Gather the required documentation
  2. Visit a service centre and submit the information in person
Last updated: 28 November 2023