The new owner or operator of a NSW registered vehicle must transfer the registration within 14 days from the date of purchase, or a late transfer fee will be applied.
You can transfer it online if the previous owner has submitted the Notice of Disposal.
If the Notice of Disposal has not been submitted by the seller you can still complete this transaction at a service centre within 14 days from the date of purchase to avoid a late transfer fee.
In certain circumstances, a paper form needs to be submitted, so check the eligibility requirements.
- hold a NSW driver licence
- be transferring a vehicle registered in NSW.
Sometimes it's not possible to transfer registration online. You'll need to visit a service centre if any of the following apply:
- you've bought the vehicle on behalf of an organisation/business
- the vehicle is over 4.5 GVM (Heavy Vehicle)
- the individual or organisation/business that you bought the vehicle from, has not submitted the notice of disposal
- you're entitled to a stamp duty exemption – visit Registration costs and concessions at the Roads and Maritime website to learn more.
What you need
- the previous owner to have submitted a notice of disposal
- the vehicle's NSW registration plate number
- a MyServiceNSW Account connected to Roads and Maritime Services
- your pensioner details (if applicable)
- the vehicle purchase date
- the purchase price or market price of the vehicle (whichever is higher)
- payment for the transfer fee and any additional fees and taxes (if applicable).
How to transfer
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the 'Transfer online' button.
- Log into your MyServiceNSW Account, or register one now.
- Enter the NSW plate number of the vehicle, or choose the NSW plate number from the list displayed.
- Enter the sale details.
- If you're a pensioner, enter your pensioner details.
- Check and confirm your registration transfer.
- Read and accept the Terms and Conditions.
- Make your payment.
- Print the receipt or send it to your email address.
If you're not eligible to transfer the registration online:
- You must transfer the registration into your name within 14 days from the date the vehicle comes into your possession, control, ownership or management, otherwise a late transfer fee will apply.
- If the vehicle has special number plates and they've been transferred with the vehicle, you take on all the rights, responsibilities and annual fees that go with those plates.