- Street address:
516 High Street
MAITLAND NSW 2320
- Postal address:
PO Box 344
HUNTER REGION MC NSW 2310
- (02) 4931 6666
The Resources Regulator NSW is the state’s work health and safety regulator for mines and petroleum sites.
The Resources Regulator's role includes:
- receiving and considering complaints, alleged breaches of the Mining Act and safety incident notifications
- providing information and guidance about safety and other regulatory obligations to protect and support industry, workers, the community and the state
- conducting probity and compliance checks on applicants for grant/renewal/transfer title applications
- conducting inspections and investigations
- assessing licensing, registration applications and grants applications for occupational licences (practising certificates and certificates of competence)
- regulating exploration activities including issuing activity approvals and ensuring compliance with title conditions and codes of practice
- taking enforcement action such as issuing prohibition and other statutory notices and taking prosecution action
- providing advice to the appropriate development consent authority regarding the appropriateness of rehabilitation strategies included in development applications, including advice on conditioning
- supporting and administering the NSW Mine Safety Advisory Council and NSW Mining and Petroleum Competence Board, and
- administering the mine and petroleum site safety fund (mine safety levy).
Mine safety offices
There are mine safety offices in Armidale, Broken Hill, Lightning Ridge, Lithgow, Maitland, Orange and Wollongong.