If you provide passenger transport services in New South Wales such as taxis, private hire, rideshare or tour drive operations, you’ll need to apply for a passenger transport licence code (PTLC).
What you'll need
- proof of identity
- unrestricted Australian driver licence with an expiry date that is 5 years or less
- completed commercial standard medical test (if applicable)
- eyesight report by an optometrist or ophthalmologist (if applicable).
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the 'Download PDF form’ button.
- Complete, print and sign the form.
- Gather the required documents.
- Visit a service centre and submit your application.
You need to:
- meet medical standards for commercial vehicle drivers
- provide a medical report if you declare a medical condition
- provide an eyesight report from an optometrist or ophthalmologist if you declare a vision or eye disorder.
Things to keep in mind...
- Once you’ve applied, you'll hear back from Roads and Maritime within 14 business days.
- The PTLC will appear on your driver licence under 'Conditions'.
- A driver licence holder with a PTLC will be subject to 0.02 blood alcohol concentration when driving a point to point passenger service or public passenger service.
- When renewing your driver licence, you’ll need to re-apply for your PTLC, and pass a commercial eyesight test each time.
- If you wish to remove the PTLC from your licence, you can make a request at a service centre. There's no cost involved.