The NSW Government is funding temporary free accommodation for vulnerable international students in NSW during the current COVID-19 pandemic. Accommodation is available for up to 12 weeks initially, with the potential to extend to 20 weeks.
The scheme will be delivered through approved student accommodation and homestay providers.
Service NSW is administering the application process and will allocate the accommodation to homestay or purpose-built student accommodation providers. Applicants will not be able to self-select their accommodation.
To be eligible you must:
- hold an international student visa
have lost, or be at risk of losing, access to secure accommodation
have no other avenues of support.
What you need
- a MyServiceNSW Account
- your personal and contact details
- documentary evidence that you meet all the eligibility requirements as itemised below:
International student visa status
- your passport
- a copy of your Overseas Student Confirmation-of-Enrolment (CoE) document from the Australian Government (Department of Education and Training), and
- one of the following:
- visa subclass 500
- visa subclass 408 (COVID-19 Pandemic event)
- Bridging visa A – BVA - (subclass 010)
- Bridging visa B – BVB – (subclass 020)
- Bridging visa C – BVC – (subclass 030)
- Bridging visa E – BVE – (subclass 050 and 051)
- Visitor (subclass 600).
A 'letter of support' from your education provider confirming:
your name, student number and enrolment status
that you have exhausted avenues of support available from your provider
the contact details of a representative of the provider who can be contacted to discuss your situation.
Note: If your education provider has closed, advise us of the provider's name and their contact details and website, so their closure can be verified.
How to apply
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
- Complete the online form.
- Upload your supporting documents.
- Review and submit your application.
Your application will be assessed and if we need further information we'll contact you.
If your application is approved, your accommodation will be allocated and we'll notify you of the next steps.
- Service NSW may request additional supporting documentation to:
- verify authenticity
- confirm that you are not currently living in one of the approved student accommodation providers under the scheme.
- Applicants may be subject to audit checks by the NSW Government or its representatives.
- The NSW Government is not responsible for administering visas and is not collecting your information to assess your visa status.