Service NSW news articles and media releases are point-in-time statements. Please note the date of issue.
Eligible pensioners across NSW can now apply for a rebate on their council rates to help with the rising cost of living.
An annual concession of up to $250 per property is available to pensioners for ordinary rates and domestic waste charges.
A further rebate of up to $87.50 is available for annual water rates and up to $87.50 for annual sewerage rates, where councils provide those services.
The NSW Government funds 55 per cent of the pensioner rebate, while councils pay the remaining 45 per cent. The Government’s share of the funding is provided to councils, which administer the entire rebate to eligible ratepayers.
Eligibility for the pensioner concessions is determined in accordance with the Australian Government’s policies on pensioner eligibility and income thresholds.
A range of further savings and support is available from the Government to help ease the cost of living for NSW pensioners.
More information can be found on the Savings Finder page of the Service NSW website.
Applications for payment of the Pensioner Concession Subsidy to local councils are now open. Councils have until Friday 6 October 2023 to submit their claims covering concessions provided to pensioners for the 2023-24 year.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Local Government Ron Hoenig:
“The NSW Government understands people are doing it tough right now, with pensioners especially vulnerable to rising cost of living."
“The rate rebates provided each year by the Government and councils are an important relief measure to help ease the financial burden of day to day living expenses for pensioners."
“Councils also have the discretion to provide and fund further rebates for pensioners should they wish to do so."
“I encourage councils to submit their concession subsidy forms to the Office of Local Government before the October deadline and take full advantage of the funding available.”